We’re still celebrating heart health this month at Grand Fitness! Although maintaining an active lifestyle with regular exercise is vital for cardio health, another critical component to your overall success is nutrition and daily diet.
We have come up with a few simple steps that you can incorporate into your everyday life to stay mindful of your choices and improve your heart health.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables, as they are full of vital micronutrients, low in calories, and rich in dietary fiber. These choices also contain substances that may help prevent cardiovascular disease.
- Limit unhealthy fats such as saturated and trans fats. By staying mindful of these hidden dangers, you can decrease your cholesterol levels and lower your risk of coronary artery disease.
- Eat smaller portions to be sure that you are not over-eating (even healthy choices). Use a small plate or bowl to help you visualize the correct portion size. You can also try out meals from our partner, Healthy Coast Meals, able to be picked up from our club!
- Reduce the sodium in your food choices. This is an easy way to combat high blood pressure, a risk factor for cardiovascular disease. Be sure to check how much salt is in your favorite processed foods as well, like canned goods.
- Select whole grains that are full of fiber. Not only will these options keep you full for longer, but you will also be helping your heart in the long run!
- Choose poultry and fish without skin and prepare them in healthy ways without added saturated and trans fat. If you choose to eat meat, look for the leanest cuts available and prepare them in healthy and delicious ways.
We hope these simple suggestions will help you become more confident when choosing heart-healthy options! Please don’t hesitate to reach out to one of our knowledgeable trainers if you have any questions.