10 Ways to Establish Healthy Eating Habits Today
You can have the ideal workout plan in mind, dedicating hours to your well-being by visiting the gym or staying active in your everyday life, but how important is nutrition to your overall success?
Establishing healthy eating habits is essential in several ways. We’ve outlined a few below!
- Maintaining a healthy weight that is sustainable through life’s many changes.
- Lowering your chances for chronic diseases such as diabetes, certain types of cancer, osteoporosis, hypertension and more.
- Increasing your energy and happiness, allowing you to experience more and feel more fulfilled in your everyday life.
Unfortunately, unhealthy eating habits have contributed to the obesity epidemic in the United States. Check out some recent statistics from the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services below.
- About one-third of U.S. adults (33.8%) are obese.
- Approximately 17% (or 12.5 million) of children and adolescents aged 2—19 years are obese.
The obesity epidemic in the United States has been caused by a variety of factors, as people are choosing to eat processed and enriched foods instead of enjoying natural foods. How can you buck this trend and establish healthy eating habits?
- Eat the rainbow, meaning try every fruit and vegetable you can get your hands on. We recommend having a fruit bowl on the counter in your kitchen so you are more inclined to grab something fresh instead of reaching for the processed foods.
- Try new foods so you don’t become bored with the healthy foods you’re used to. Or try new herbs and spices to freshen up a familiar meal.
- Be mindful of your eating — put down all distractions and truly pay attention to how you’re fueling your body.
- Eat slower so your body can respond accordingly.
- Find healthy ways to manage your stress (we recommend one of our many group fitness classes like yoga or one of our HIIT options to work out a long day or get your mind right for the new day.
- Read ingredient labels when you’re making purchase decisions.
- Cook more to save money from going out to eat and to fully understand what is in your food!
- Meal prep or develop a routine that you can stick to.
- Use measuring cups and smaller plates to portion control. Or you can always sign up for Healthy Coast Meals to take the guesswork out!
- Drink more water, critical for every aspect of your health.
Our knowledgeable staff is available to answer any questions you may have! Feel free to reach out to us with any questions.